Unborn Chickens, or egg series #1.

My mom is not much of a cook. She likes simple meals and mild flavors, usually with a meat of some sort. My literary-analysis-focused self reads into this, and thinks that it's because her food heritage hails from her mother, who grew up in the Great Depression. Those depression-era meals bled into our meals, a generation later, with braised greens, great northern beans and rice, all flavored with meat.

My stepfather did a good portion of the cooking as we grew up. Some nights, my mom would make tacos. That weekend, Darrin would make taco omelettes, my favorite weekend breakfast - taco sandwiched between perfectly cooked egg.

I still have not mastered an omelette. Oddly enough, the only time I was successful was my first time. Perhaps I need instruction from my omelette master.

Mine end up an amalgamation of an omlette and a scramble, and quite ugly. 

Here's one I just made into a fritatta because it fell apart.


And here was my attempt at a recreation of that aforementioned taco omelette. Delicious, yes. Failed, definitely.


That being said, I do have a number of egg successes. I've been saying for a long time that I'm going to do a series on eggs. Here is my tried-and-true eggs-in-a-basket.


Aaaaand another. 

My boyfriend insists on potatoes - you can tell.

I take a picture before I layer the toast with one of my favorite sauces, because it's just not pretty. I also like stirring the sauce into my potatoes.

Eggs in a Basket

Ingredients
for toast
1-2 slices of multi-grain or wheat sandwich bread (bakery loaves do not work)
1-2 eggs, depending on your number of bread slices
1 tb salted butter
1 tb olive oil, or extra butter
2 large pinches of Spike Vegit Seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

for sauce
1/2 cup milk of choice (substitute vegan options work as well, especially almond milk)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tb dijon mustard (I use Publix Greenwise)
1 clove minced garlic (about 1 tsp)
salt to taste
dash of cayenne pepper, to taste

method

  1. Combine all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat until simmering, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. You can cook the toast while sauce comes to a simmer.
  2. Using a biscuit cutter or the rim of a drinking glass, cut a hole in the center of the bread slice(s).
  3. Heat olive oil and butter in a large non-stick skillet until butter fizzles.
  4. Add bread slices and round and move around the pan to coat bottoms with oil/butter mixture. 
  5. Once the bottoms have toasted slightly, add your egg(s) to the cut holes. Sprinkle with a pinch of seasoning, salt, and pepper. I love the salty taste to the bread.
  6. Cook until egg firms on the bottom and edges are toasted to your liking. Flip (it will most likely make a mess on the bottom unless you have finesse. I do sometimes. Season to taste, and cook egg to your liking. 
  7. Layer with sauce to taste, and serve.
Tip: Break the yolk before you flip if you prefer completely cooked egg yolk.

More egg posts to come!

Comments

Popular Posts