Almost Vegan Eggs Benedict

Something I've sorely missed since becoming a vegetarian is eggs benedict. Really, the only thing that makes it not vegetarian is the Canadian bacon. This morning, I decided to attempt to make my best vegetarian attempt - and it was delicious!

I was inspired by this post, from where I got the hollandaise recipe. I modified it slightly, as detailed below. It is vegan except that I used regular mayo instead of vegenaise - because I don't like the vegenaise Publix carries, and Native Sun was closed.


  • 3 Tablespoons Earth Balance soy-free spread
  • 2 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
  • pinch of turmeric
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • big pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
  • 1-1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1 Tablespoon Hellman's olive oil mayo

First, I melted the Earth Balance until boiling:


Then added in the wheat flour, and whisked into a paste.


I added the turmeric (serves to create color), and then slowly whisked in the milk. I brought this to a boil, then cooked for a few minutes until thickened. Removing from the heat, I whisked in the cayenne, nutritional yeast, and mayo.

I toasted 7-Sprouted Grans English Muffins, then spread some Earth Balance over the slices. Then, a few pieces of baby spinach on each, followed by poached eggs, and then the hollandaise. 

Voila (with a Bloody Mary!)


Comments

Popular Posts