Oh my goodness roasted cabbage is amazing.

I received two small heads of red cabbage from Local Fare and was unenthused. I roasted cabbage some months ago, and it turned out pretty well, so I went with that. And boy am I now enthused. 

I cut the cabbage into bite-size pieces, tossed with olive oil and salt, and roasted at 400°F for about 20 minutes. It burned slightly, so the next batch I put in for less time - it was incredible.


One of my favorite meals to make is a spicy garbanzo bean casserole. (Source: here).This one turned out a bit dry - my fault for quick-soaking the beans, as I'm now terrified of that weird juice that comes with canned beans - but with a drizzle of olive oil the problem is mostly solved.

I combine brown rice with garbanzos, a tahini-water blend (3tb tahini to 3 tb water, mixed until fluffy), one can of diced tomatoes (I like to use Publix Greenwise), and one can of RoTel tomatoes with chilies. Sometimes I add in second can of RoTel, or the spicier version, for heat. For this batch, I added in a bunch of fresh chopped herbs. Then some onion. I only had half an onion (I'm coming to realize that I need to start buying the bags of onions, rather than one at a time), so I added in my aging local green onions as well.


This gets dumped into a baking dish and is baked at 375°F for about 40 minutes, and topped with optional toasted sesame seeds.

I paired it with a baby kale mix salad (local greens!) with pine nuts, sunflower seeds, and a superfood berry dressing (not sure I get any benefit from the dressing, but it's good nonetheless).


And it's all VEGAN. Yay.

Comments

Popular Posts