Hearty Green Chili

Here I sit, and my cat deems it necessary to ignore me. He really likes facing the wall for some reason.


Anyway, tonight's dinner comes from a blog that was recommended to me today. I read Food Babe's article about meat substitute burgers (and boy, do I share her food anxiety when I go to anyone's home for dinner), and decided to browse around a bit. I came to this recipe, for Green Chili. I tried to do the best research I could, on Fooducate, before going to the store. I figured out what kind of sour cream to buy, learning that the dairy-free substitutes are no good. I learned that Publix brand products tend to be highly rated - yay! I buy their generics almost exclusively.

To begin, I sauteed 2 green bell peppers and 1 onion in 1/2 tb of olive oil, until softened (the recipe says golden brown, but that probably comes from the ground turkey, which I of course did not use).

Added in the spices - 1tsp of ground coriander, 2 tb cumin, 1 tsp oregano. I wish there was a way of describing the smell. The picture is a bit cloudy because of the steam.

Then, bay leaf, 1 small jalapeno, 1 can of diced green chiles, and 1 jar of tomatillo salsa. Also - 1 quart of vegetable broth. I make mine using Rapunzel vegan bouillon cubes, which is cheaper, and, to my opinion, more tasty. I checked the brands on Fooducate when I got home - and I chose well. If there ever was a reason to get a smartphone, which I fervently resist - this is it. This is supposed to simmer for 40 minutes.


While I waited, I made a Peach Tahini Kale smoothie, and I liked it better than the Winter Spice smoothie. The boy didn't.


After simmering, 2 cans of cannellini beans. I prefer dried, as there are no additives, but time was an issue tonight.


Simmer for another 30 minutes - and then, deliciousness for your mouth. We put it over whole wheat rotini, and garnished with a tiny amount of sour cream and shredded cheddar, as well as a slice of lime. This recipe is vegan, without the sour cream and cheddar.

Side note - I love my new placemats and napkins!


Comments

Popular Posts